Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Runaway - Part 3 of 3

Fresh night air. It had been a while since he’d gotten to inhale the sweetness of the night sky, cool and refreshing, free from dust and grime. There was time when he’d flee to this roof often, staring down at the city below as he cleared his mind, much as he was doing now. That was when he called this building home, before it was replaced by any and everywhere that he could get a peaceful night’s sleep. But Xavier was also here for a different purpose. He sighs as he watches her through a set of binoculars, her apartment several buildings away to the south. He desires nothing more than to be next to her again, the last connection to his once peaceful life. Alessa…

He’s startled by the approaching of footsteps behind him, and he allows the binoculars to fall to the stone surface of the rooftop. A hand grazes his shoulder. He knows who it is without turning around.

“I thought that you might make it here eventually.” Dane squats beside him, allowing himself to also soak in the night air. “When I first went underground, I always dreamed of returning home, even though I knew that it wasn’t home anymore.”
Xavier sits silently, continuing to look out at the sea of lights beneath.
“I know what you feel Xavier. I know what it’s like to give up so much.”

Xavier turns to face him, anger creeping into his worn features. “I didn’t give it up… It was taken from me.” Xavier stands and begins to pace the rooftop. Dane watches him silently. After 2 laps, Xavier stops, once again facing the south. “She’s all that’s left…” A tear rolls slowly down his cheek.

Dane rises, placing his hands on his apprentice’s shoulders. He gazes into the younger man’s eyes, the cold stare replaced by inviting warmth. “Xavier… I know that you miss her. I know that you miss your father and everything that made up the life that you once lived. I miss my family and friends just as you do. I want them to pay for everything they’ve done to us, just as you do. It’s what each and every one in our organization yearns for. And it’s why we have to stick together and follow orders. It’s the only way that we have a chance for success in our mission… And the only way that we can stay safe and protect each other.”

Xavier nods sullenly. Dane pats Xavier’s shoulders, turning away to stand side by side with him. “I know it’s hard. I’d love to tell you that it’ll get easier, but I’m not sure when that may be. It will though…”

“Can’t we take her with us?”

Dane turns his head, lips pursed with regret. “No, we can’t… Just being here puts her in danger. They’ve been watching her, waiting for you to try to come to her. They’ll leave her alone, as long as she doesn’t know we’re out here. They’ll keep watching, but at least she’ll be safe “

Xavier’s expression turns puzzled. “Watching? But I didn’t see anyone…”

A wry smile crosses Dane’s face. “Because I took care of them for you before you got here.” He watches as Xavier’s demeanor becomes increasingly somber. “You’re going to have to be more careful. It won’t always be poorly trained security officers in the subway. The battles ahead are going to become harder… The stakes are going to get higher. You’ve learned a lot with me, but you still have more to learn. Maybe then, when you’re ready, we’ll get her back for you.”

Xavier nods. Dane walks toward the stairwell to the building, pausing to lean against the railing near the doorway. Xavier takes one more look toward Alessa’s building. I'll be watching over you... I'll be waiting... Goodbye for now. He releases one, final, exasperated sigh and follows Dane down to the darkness below.

No comments: