"You're a fool for coming back here." The princess glared down from her bejeweled, golden throne at me, her steely eyes piecing deeply into mine. The sharpness of her voice caused her attendants to stop their scurrying about the chamber, paused as if frozen in place. I felt gazes of a dozen pairs of curious eyes, all focused on my place in the doorway to the grand hall. I heard the familiar sound of metal sliding past metal... The guards had withdrawn their swords from their sheaths and were approaching quickly. Her hand rose quickly. They stopped at her unspoken command yet remained ready to strike, like wild dogs tugging at the end of their leashes.
I lifted my hands in the air, away from the blades at my own side. I stepped forward toward the "I made a promise to your father, my lady. And to you." I knelt down on one knee, bowing slightly as my leg touched the floor. "I will not go back on my word."
"It was my father who banished you from this hall. And from this kingdom. Your word means nothing here, Garrett." She motioned to the guards to come forward. My sword and dagger were torn from my waist; my pouch stripped from my side. A shackle locked around each of my wrists. A sharp grunt escaped my lips as the guards tugged harshly at the chain, sending a searing pain through my back and shoulders. I was lifted to my feet by two of the guards, the joints of their gauntlets digging into my arms. "Take him away."
The largest of the guards grabbed my shoulder and pushed me in the opposite direction of the throne. I pulled away from the guards, using all of my strength to turn toward the princess once more. I shouted with every essence of my being... "I will uphold my promise, princess!" A heavy metal gauntlet struck my stomach, forcing the remaining air from lungs. I fell to my knees once more, gasping for air as my head sank to the cold floor.
From the side door of the chamber, I listened as the King entered, surrounded on all sides by attendants. One of the guards tugged roughly at my hair, forcing me to watch as the King approached the throne, coming to a halt at his daughter's side. He glared at me, eyes much like daggers. "How dare you set foot in this castle again... You will pay severely for this transgression." He walked toward me, nodding to the guards. They held me in place as the King leaned in close to me. "I will not have you trying to ruin my daughter's future again by overstepping your bounds. She will be wedded to the Duke and lead this land," he whispered. You will die for this."
I turned away from the King's gaze for a moment, finding the eyes of the Princess. As I faced her, the burning within my chest stifled my voice. I could only mouth my last words... I will protect you, Princess.
I watched her features soften. She placed a hand on her busom, as though trying to quell the quickening of her own breathing. She began to walk briskly in my direction, yet the King stopped her approach. He nodded once again to the guard. I stared intently into the eyes of the Princess, unable to escape the rough grasps of my captors. I thought that I'd seen tears forming in her eyes just as the world faded into nothingness.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment