The clanging of metal against metal rang throughout the halls. All around, the royal blue uniforms of the guards were splotched with purple, stained with the blood of guards and enemy alike. The enemy had broken through the lines and were driving further and further into the castle. Their push had led them to the doors of the throne room itself.
I picked up the sword of a fallen guard and rushed the first enemy soldier that I came to, dispatching him easily. The remaining soldiers stopped their advances on the throne room, now aware of my approach. I beckoned them on. "Come. Let's see how you fare against a real warrior."
My blade found the weak points in the armor of the first set of foes, their sloppy swordsmanship providing little challenge to block, parry, and attack. The last two warriors attached simultaneously from both sides. They were superior opponents to their companions, coordinating their attacks with the grace of masters. They too fell to my blade, though only after a prolonged struggle. My arms were weary as I made my way to the throne room door. I used the gauntlet of one of the fallen to knock on the massive door.
"Amelia! Can you hear me?!"
My call was answered by the creaking of the door on its hinges. A guard opened the door slowly, his sword drawn. I dropped my own blade and showed my palms to the guard. He allowed me to advance into the room cautiously.
Amelia knelt near the throne, her face a mess of tears. She was surrounded by attendants, doctors, and guards; a man laid on his back, his head within her lap. I rushed to be by the wounded King's side. The surprise on his face was brief, replaced quickly by pain and moans of anguish. I grabbed the nearest doctor's shoulder. "What's happened to him?"
The man's gaze was empty, almost devoid of life, as he faced me. He pointed a quivering finger toward the body of a woman, dressed in the robe of one of the court attendants. A dagger pointed upwards from the body; its blade was entrenched deeply within her heart. I stared at Amelia as the man spoke, for I knew that the dagger was hers. "She's poisoned him," the man stated. The empty poison vial laid beside the body.
I laid a hand on Amelia's shoulder. "Amelia... Which one was it? Who sent her?"
Her clenched knuckles turned white. She looked into my eyes, fury reflecting within her own. "It's Rodrigo.. He sent them. And those..." She pointed toward the door, "Are his men."
"Where is he now?" She shrugged her shoulders, the energy draining from her spirit. I placed a hand on her other shoulder, gripping tightly. "Amelia! Where is he?"
"I'm right here behind you, if you cared to look."
I turned my head toward the door. My focus on the king had all but muted the rest of the world, leaving me unaware that the door had opened. Rodrigo stood before me, several of his men flanking to either side. I stood, placing my body between him and injured king and princess. "What have you done, you bastard?"
He smirked. "I'm taking my rightful place. This kingdom was on a path to ruin at the hands of this Princess and the marriage that her father has arranged. I won't let that happen."
"Where's the antidote?"
He pulled back his robe, revealing a pouch hanging at his waist. "I'm afraid that I've reserved this bit for me... I couldn't have someone try a repeat performance once the throne is mine." He grinned, allowing the robe to fall back to its loosely hanging position. "Gentlemen, if you would please escort these civilians to the dungeons to await their removal."
His henchmen closed in slowly, their smiles mimicking that of their leader. I felt a cold sensation touch the back of my hand, which had been clenched into a fist at my side. I looked down to see Amelia extending her father's sword toward me. I nodded and pulled the sword from its jeweled sheath. The men converged quickly, yet were beaten back, aided by the King's formidable blade. I panted heavily, struggling to catch my breath as the soldiers did the same. "Rodrigo... Your men cannot defeat me..." I pointed a finger toward his chest. "Let's end this now. Me and you."
Confidence obvious in his swagger, Rodrigo pulled his own blade. "As you wish."
He slowly circled before commencing his attack, his strong strikes coming close to breaking the guard of my weakened body. I was pushed backward, losing ground between Rodrigo and the throne. I'd been struck with a glancing blow and was forced to a knee.
Rodrigo paused, the smirk returning to his face. "Bowing to me, are you? This fight is over, and you know it. Give me that sword which is rightfully mine... Pledge your allegiance to me, and I shall let you live under my command."
I shook my head. "Never."
He sighed. "Why do you fight for a man who barred you from his kingdom?"
I gathered my strength, pulling myself back to my feet. "Because I made a promise when I was knighted. Just as you did, when you were allowed to become part of this court. Except I'm keeping mine, to its end."
"Then may your end come quick!" He pulled a dagger from its sheath at his waist and charged again, swinging wildly for a killing blow. I raised the king's sword in a feeble attempt to block the blow, which never came. Amelia's dagger pierced the larger man's side, causing Rodrigo to yell out in pain and anguish. I gathered my remaining strength to lift the blade, plunging it through Rodrigo's chest with one last gasp.
As Rodrigo's body fell, devoid of life, I first felt the pain shooting through my own side. He'd plunged his own dagger into my my flesh. I looked over toward Amelia, a look of horror spreading across her face. Her dagger remained within Rodrigo's side. His dagger, covered with my blood, lay at my feet. A purple liquid ran along the length of the blade, mixed with the dark red blood. The poison would spread quickly.
One of the doctors hurriedly scurried to me, pulling the antidote pouch from Rodrigo's belt. As he leaned over me, I shook my head. I grabbed his collar and pulled him nearer. "Save the king," I told him, my weakened voice barely above the level of a whisper. He nodded, laying a hand on my forehead. As he turned to rush to the king, Amelia replaced him at my side, clutching my hands within her own. I forced myself to smile before submitting to the pain.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment